Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rosemary's Easy Roast Beef

I go through phases in my cooking much like lots of others I know so I thought I'd tell you what we've been eating regularly of late. I'll do separate posts on my recipes so it gets filed more neatly in the archives, is that ok? :)

I am a bit of a jack of all trades as I cook a lot of different foods and adapt and change recipes to suit intolerances and allergies in our home. One thing that I always make sure is that it's an EASY recipe:) I am the 'queen of easy' in the kitchen, especially in the past few years as I've started wearing 'many hats' so to speak, both with being a mum, homeschooling, working part time, ministry involvement etc. So....this is a yummy and super easy recipe that I tried out recently and everyone (including me ! ) loved it so here it is:

Ingredients:

1 kg or thereabouts of a piece of topside roast
1 packet French onion soup
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 to 1 tsp chilli powder (depending on how spicy you want it).

2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 cm thick slices.
Other vegetables to serve steamed alongside and gravy if you desire.

Method:

Turn oven on to warm up while you do the following:

Peel and chop the sweet potatoes.

Mix the soup packet ingredients, the chilli and garlic in about 1/2 cup of warm water and pour over the meat in a baking dish. (I used a corning ware casserole dish with a lid).

Cook the meat in pre-heated oven (180 degrees C / 350 degrees F) for around two hours (for well done). I use a meat thermometer and it usually takes less than two hours.

Towards the last hour or 45 minutes of cooking I add the sweet potato (sprayed with cooking oil and a dusting of black pepper) to the baking dish.

When it comes out of the oven the sweet potato would have soaked up some of the juices from the cooking process which makes it absolutely delish!

To this you can add steamed vegies, peas, corn, whatever you want really!

Ron and Rebekah like this served with some gravy but I prefer it without and just the juices from the baking dish.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture for you but I can tell you the flavours of the soup mix along with the chilli, garlic and pepper make it very tasty indeed and complement the beef very well. Great for the cold winter nights we've been having of late! I should also mention that with the price of lamb these days this is a much more economical meal!

I'd be interested if you do try it out to let me know how you go, otherwise this will just remain filed away in my archives for me to refer to some time down the road:)

10 comments:

Clara said...

Sounds good - my husband will love this if/when I make it for him!! :)

Sarah said...

oooh Yum! My Mum always used french onion soup on lamb chops and still does and they remain to be my favourite! This sounds delish too! xxx

Mai said...

That sounds gooood! Will try it out :)

(Hi Rosemary!! xoxo)

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

This sounds like a very good recipe. When my Market sells sweet potatos I will be back for the recipe.

Finding Joy said...

Sounds good. I love sweet potato and always use it in roasts.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! This is making my mouth water! Sounds so good!
-Tea

Anonymous said...

Love the verse that inspired the title of your blog. Thanks for sharing it in your profile. Best wishes in your cooking adventures. Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

Joyfulmum said...

Hi Mai! nice to 'see' you here again:) miss you!
Mommy of two little blessings, welcome and thanks for your comment:)Sarah, now I've not tried french onion soup on chops but you've certainly given me a new idea, thanks!

Penney Douglas said...

Hi Rosemary! Brilliant minds think alike, huh? About the dried beef in my recipe, I think some people call it chipped beef. Do you have something that is processed like lunch meat in layers of meat? I'm not really sure why it's called dried beef. My mom always got the Carl Buddig kind, so that's the only one I'm familiar with.
Your recipe sounds good. I make a roast with potatoes and carrots. I use steak sauce and worcestershire sauce to flavor it. Do you have those things?

Joyfulmum said...

Penney, no we don't have that I don't think in Australia! but we do have steak and worcestershire sauces though:) they do indeed flavour the meat quite well!